College coach explains why he recruited Steubenville rapist
Thanks for contacting us. We've received your submission.
Four years after being convicted of rape, Ma’lik Richmond apparently didn’t feel he belonged on a football field.
Bo Pelini’s most noteworthy move following his 2014 Nebraska ouster may be seeking out Richmond, one of the two assailants in the high-profile Steubenville High School rape case, to play on his team, bringing the sex offender out of the relative anonymity of the classroom and into the college football world.
Youngstown State, an Ohio university of a little more than 10,000 undergrads, the former Ohio , will field a team with a walking-on Richmond this season after Pelini discovered he had this talent, who played wide receiver and linebacker in high school, on his campus.
Richmond served nearly 10 months of a year-long sentence in juvenile detention after being convicted of raping a minor. The crime gained a national spotlight and put Steubenville on the map as an Everytown example of football entitlement and sexual abuse, where only an abundance of evidence culled from social media and text messages, where the assailants and bystanders shared what actually happened, brought the crime to light.
Richmond, who was 16 at the time of the Aug. 11, 2012, incident, was one of two players convicted in 2013, and he was released in January 2014. He finished his high school career at Steubenville, then, according to the Vindicator, bounced between colleges, where he didn’t seek out the football team and the football team didn’t seek him out — until arriving at Youngstown State, which made the Football Championship Subdivison championship last season and is seeing success under Pelini and university president Jim Tressel, the former Ohio State coach who resigned in 2011 amid an improper-benefits scandal. Pelini learned Richmond was right under his nose.
“I thought it was smart that he was willing to put football aside,” Pelini said. “He knows he has to earn this and he didn’t come here to play.”
Pelini said he took the time to vet Richmond and came to believe he deserves another chance.
“Every case is different. You have to listen to their story to see if they are genuine,” Pelini said. “Gosh, when I was at Nebraska, I got rid of a lot of kids. Some of them weren’t even given a second chance.”
“I believe in him, but I told him, ‘I’ll hold your feet to the fire,’” Pelini said before fall practice began Thursday. “He has to do it better and cleaner than the next guy.
“… I gave him some stipulations and some things he had to be able to do and if he lived up to them, he’d be able to come out and see if he could be a member of our football team. He did those things and continues to do those things right now and he’s done a nice job for us.”
News Corp. is a network of leading companies in the world of diversified media, news, and information services.
August 08, 2017
Sources:` New York Post
Seattle Seahawks player sat for anthem following violence in CharlottesvilleSan Francisco 49ers GM John Lynch says protests are ‘divisive’Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett, who sat for the national anthem last weekend, says the protest movement started by Colin Kaepernick would be more effective if a white player joined in.Kaepernick, and other NFL players, started sitting out the anthem last season in protest against racial injustice in the United States. To date, no white NFL players have joined them, although the US soccer international Megan Rapinoe knelt for the anthem last year. Continue reading...
REAL MADRID star Gareth Bale thinks a move to Manchester United would represent a step down, according to reports.
RORY MCILROY wants to defend his FedEx Cup title after deciding against sitting out the rest of the season to rest a persistent rib injury.
CATRIONA MATTHEW helped Europe get off to a strong start in their quest to regain the Solheim Cup from the United States in Iowa.
Antonio Conte admitted he could be 'forced' to rush Tiemoue Bakayoko into the Chelsea team against Tottenham. The Blues boss has to cope with the suspension of Cesc Fabregas.
Luke Shaw expects to wrestle back his Manchester United place when fully fit, with a contract extension in the offing too. The left back's deal runs out at the end of the season.
DIEGO COSTA clearly still has a soft spot for Chelsea as he was spotted wearing his club shorts while training alone in Brazil.